Jen and I at the Garden Tomb Service on Easter
Easter #1- Since Easter always coincides with Passover, I was invited to a sedar meal on that Friday. It was a Messianic Sadar meal so the interpretations meant so much more. It was very interesting to be a part of a tradition that Jesus also followed. Saturday was spent with some friends in Jerusalem. It is always a joy to be able to hang out with them and eat their cooking. They are such great cooks! Sunday was the highlight of the week. A lot of the teachers and I went to the Garden Tomb for Sunrise Service. I was honored to celebrate Christ's rising from the dead by being in the place where he may have risen. It was an awesome service and helped me to put the gift he gave me into persepective. I love the Easter season because for me it's a time of reflextion of what Jesus has done for us and a time of rejoicing becuase he rose again and He's coming back! After service, Jen and I went with some friends to the Angelican School in Jeru for fun Easter activities. We joined a couple who had three children and colored eggs. Then we hid the eggs for the kids to find. That night King of Kings had a special family service for Passover which was a completion to a wonderful weekend.
Group of Easter Egg Hiders
The next week we only had two days of school...really only one. Wednesday was the school field trip. We were to go to Fun Land in Ramallah through Wadi El Nar (The Valley of Fire). Be afraid be very afraid...I was! My kids laughed at me the entire time. Wadi El Nar is a steep valley that's for Palestinian to travel to other Palestinian towns. The corners and roads are small and high..and we were in a big bus. I did a lot of praying and closing my eyes. Hopefully...i'll never have to do that again. It scared me as much as flying. lol When we got to the park, which had said they reserved the park for our school, it was filled with school boys from Hebron. We could not allow our kids to go there so we went to another location which wasn't as fun but know we're planning other trips with them as well to make up for it. That night was Jen's surpise birthday party which was a blast. She was so happy to have all her friends there to remember her big day.
Day at the Beach
Easter #2- Another long weekend! It was a blast to have those days off. On Friday, our Jerusalem friends and I planned Jen another birthday. We used the excuse of having a Shabbat meal to get her not to ask question. Just to say, "Yes". It was a sushi birthday with Jen's name written out in sushi. It was great! She was so surprised and never had a clue. It was great to really surprise someone without them having the slightest guess. On Saturday we rented a car and went down to the beach at Tel Aviv. It was nice to get away and enjoy some fun in the sun. The weather wasn't too hot yet, but the water was a little cool, but it made a relaxing day at home. Sunday was a girl's day. Jen, I and one of my students, Liselot, went on an outing in Jeru. We went around window shopping and getting supplies for school and projects. It was so fun to sit and enjoy an icecream with my student, to hear about her life in Holland and what her and her family's plans are for next year. They are moving back to Holland and I will miss her deeply. We went to church and had an awesome service about the Holy Spirit working in our life and got to stay for extended worship. I really enjoy King of Kings because I always am fed by the messages and can feel the presence of the Lord each week in that place. I think that i'm going to become more invovled by going to weekly discipleship groups.
Orthodox Easter is celebrated more than Christmas in Beit Jala. People die eggs, make speical cookies, give chocolate, and visit friends and family. I was invited to my student, Afram's, house for Easter meal. I love that family. They have four boys in our school ranging from K5 to 9th grade. Those boys are well behaved and mannered. I enjoyed getting to know their entire family from the parents, grandparents, to aunts and uncles. It was nice to see how the family lives and what the kids do in their spare time. It was such an enjoyable day..but of course I ate too much!
Jen's name in sushi
Life has been seeming to be going at superspeed. April has sped by...i cant believe that school will be ove in a month and i'll be home soon. I'm taking advantage of every opportunity to go to out and enjoy the country and culture. In the last week i have been out with Ms. Grace a few times. She and Najat fixed a special meal called fasoullia (beans and rice) and especially invited me over. Then we went to her other sister's houses (Mary and Lucy) to have coffee and chat. Then i've been going with the 2nd grade teacher Ellen to Modern Dance Performaces. They have been so enjoyable and one night i felt like i was at home, the play was so western...which can be a good feeling at times.I've also have enjoyed a picnic with the 3rd grade boys on Saturdays. They usually all buy different things in the canteen and share them on the steps so this week they let me take part. I felt honored that they let a girl in on their "club." So...as i said i'm trying to make the most of the little time I have left before the summer. I'm also anxiously awating the group coming from Heritage in 25 days. YIPPEE!
Please continue to pray for me and my class. I'm still having problems with the two kids I've been having problems with. It's very stressful and i've done all i can do. Please continue to pray for my patience with them and for God to intervien in their lives. He is the only one who can change their hearts and minds. Please pray also for my flights back home and for the time I will be in the States this summer. I want it to be very fruitful! Thank you for all your prayers and support! (Also...got a new haircut again! YEAH)
No comments:
Post a Comment