So, this past week has been one of the toughest weeks I have has since being here, in regards to students. Last post I was bragging about how wonderful my kids are and their great behavior. I realized that some of my kids, while well behaved in the class, are very mean to their fellow classmates outside of the classroom. This is happening especially with the girls. Instead of building each other up (or being a peacemaker, like we've been discussing in class) they are tearing them down, big time. I've been reading articles and it seems that 5th grade is just the time when this occurs the most. We had a long discussion on tearing each other down, and not being a good friend. A lot of their privileges were also taken away. A select 5 of my girls had to stay in during breaks to watch this American Girl film on bullying and being mean(Chrissa Stands Strong) and give me a short essay over what they learned. We've all prayed about it as well. A few of the girls have expressed that they want to change and dont want to be mean to others, it's just hard when someone who is a friend is telling you what to do. I've been trying to watch even closer this week on their attitudes when I'm "not there" or on the playground. They seem to be doing better and trying to work as a team again. I just know that these kids can change the world if they really have a Kingdom mindset. If they want what God has in store for them...now is the time for them to reach out and grab it!On the contrary, the 6th graders have been doing so much better. They have been getting their work done and have been better behaved. Recently, instead of dreading their class i've been looking forward to it. I have some who now are picking up their game. They are trying harder and making it count. I'm really proud of them. We seem to laugh more and kinda enjoy our time together. They are hilarious kids. My hope is that they will really grow up as they go into 7th grade.
Yesterday I got to stay with the Rhodes kids. Terry and Melissa were counting books that got shipped though one of the ports. It's so fun to stay with boys. They are always into something. We watched a couple of movies, Jeremiah made supper, Zach held Jeremiah down while we tickled him, and then an awesome game of hide-and-seek. I was already really tired from school, but playing with them made me feel so much more energetic.
Yesterday I also visited with the Korean family out our school. I teach their son, Samuel. They'll be leaving on Monday for American and then Korea. They wanted to share with us what God is doing in their lives. This family has been here for 20years. Amazing! They have now started the groundwork for the Korean Cultural Center. This center will include a kindergarten, tai kawando, theater, and a guesthouse. Their ideas and plans are amazing. And it's just beginning. They want it not only to be for Palestinians and Koreans...but International! I think they are going to try to partner with our school as well in some events. It's so refreshing to see what God is doing here. Many times i think my faith is very small and seeing something like this being played out really gives it a boost.
While reading my blog if you ever think that you would like to help out with JSB, I've got a few easy ways here. Here are a list of items that we always need and can use:
1. Books: new or used for our library
2. Laptops: those can be old or even broken
3. Projectors: We would love to have those available for teachers who need them regularly.
4. Maps: Any type of maps, especially for history
5. Computer spare parts: Things are always breaking, so it's easier if we have extras lying around
5. Sports Equipment: jump ropes, chalk, beanbags, potato sacks, balls (any kind)
6. YOU: especially in your prayers and we always need teachers as well :)
Thank you all for everything you do! Many blessings to you all. Waiting for the group in 19 days! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment