Sunday, 18 October 2009

Sometimes You Do Get Homesick

For the most part of last year I did really well about being away from family and friends. May/June was more difficult but that was b/c I had been here for 10 months already.
This year I do feel at home here in Beit Jala, or in Israel in general. It is home and I feel like it will be home for a while. My heart is here and I definitely want to stay here. There are just been more times this year when I do miss my family and friends from home. This has been a totally different year than the last. I knew that. I knew this year would have a new array of problems than the year before...but I more expected those to be in the classroom not on a personal level. This year has been harder because of friendships. My roommates are great, but usually in and out. My one confidant and "sister" is getting married and always with her fiance. When she's here she's not really here...she's trying, but it's all very new to her. I'm also trying to show a lot of grace in that and understanding. Other roommate usually is in her room and if not then she is gone as well. Many nights a week are spent alone in my apartment, or so I feel. Alone. So I've had this sense of loneliness that sometimes just weighs on me. I really do have many friends here and good friends, but there are many times when I feel know one is here or cares. And those times are the ones when I do miss being at home especially with my mom...my friend! It's a new situation because I'm 23..and who really worries about friends at that age? Doesn't that happen to my 5th graders?
Um..no...friendship is one very important aspects of life. One of the joys of life. (just think of Jonathan and David) But one aspect i want to share is that every time i feel a little down or a bit lonely...God always reminds me, "You are not alone! "AMEN! That great big God, he's constantly drawing me to himself, and in more ways than i can imagine. I just love getting glimpses into it. Amazing. ( I had a moment like that today and wanted to share it) I mean, God will never leave or forsake you was something I learned in 1st grade! Yes! Most people brought up in the church know that! But it's true. How many people really rely on it? God is constantly here...and God is constantly wanting to build a forever friendship with us. One that is deeper and last longer than any friendship on this earth. And God is a great friend! He takes away the things that separate us from Him and gives us amazing gifts. You don't have to call him or even wait for him to come over, b/c He's been beside you waiting for you to call on Him or just acknowledge his presence. He always wants to talk and to hang out. He never gets bored from hearing your stories. He also gives great advice. He wont ever steer you wrong. Thanks Jesus for being the very best friend I could ever ask for.
Emily Hall told me something last year that I will never forget about missions or just loneliness in general. She was saying a prayer for me before she left and told me a story of a time when she was away from family. She explained that sometimes that she would just be on her face on her bed crying out for God to comfort her. And He did. She told me that in life and especially where I am now that there would be times like that for me. It's true. That's when I remember that My Friend is here with me. And i find myself on my bed crying out for the comfort of the Living God. And He is faithful to come...He'd actually been waiting.

2 comments:

Our Home said...

I love your updates and your transparency. You are precious and obviously in the center of His will. He is closer to you there than anywhere else. He is such a consistent friend and Father. We love ya~

M. Jones said...

Bunky! I love your thoughts on this. Thanks for sharing....miss ya.