Friday, 15 January 2010

First Week Back!

I didn't think that I was ready to go back to school until I woke up on Saturday morning. I definitely enjoyed the break way too much! But, I realized on Saturday that I was well rested and ready to get back into the game! I think I had way too much fun on the first day back and the reason why is Red Rover. I didn't remember it being such a violent game! I had kids being clothes lined and falling on the ground. I joined in on the fun and helped them strategize good plans for making their team win. It was too much fun!

This semester I have received two new students. Two girls have joined my 5th grade class. It is a blessing to have new faces and new personalities. It is also very difficult not only for me but for the girls, especially, to come in in the middle of teaching at a class that is so fast-paced. Also, both of these girls are coming from their homes in other countries which they love. But, they seem to be making friends very easily.  Please pray for them and me as well on how to incorporate them better into the class learning setting.

In class, I'm very excited about our reading material. For the 6th graders they will be reading a variety of Tall Tales and doing day activities on each of the characters. They also have a project at the end of the reading assignment to recreate a Tall Tale character of their choice creatively. 5th graders are reading a higher-level book for the next month. It is called The Giver. If you haven't read it, in my opinion, it's a great read. It's really stretching the kids to critically think and to speculate on what is happening and what is going to happen. It's incredible to get their reactions
 and thoughts on it. Also, at the end of the book they will be responsible for a creative project, which I haven't come up with yet. All the other subjects seem to be going well. It was great that they had a clean cut off when the semester ended so we could start new material this semester! Made my job a little easier and it was less stress on them. Finally, this semester in Bible is focusing on the teachings of Jesus. We're going to be looking at what Jesus says about how to live our lives and make it applicable. They've already started inquiring...about Matthew 5:48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." "How can we be perfect? There is no way we can be perfect...we're humans!" I'm excited about the discussions that we're going to have! They are such special kids...I'm glad that I get to be a part of their lives!!

As most of you already know, I've been actively attending a congregation in Jerusalem known as King of Kings Community and I enjoy it very much. Starting about a month ago, they started a young adults meeting/Bible study on Thursday nights. I have been active in this group and have thoroughly enjoyed the worship, teaching, and fellowship.  I have really felt that this is a program that I need to commit to because it's something that is feeding into me. Recently, Barrett has started a house church for the teachers and 9-12th grade students. It's first meeting was last night. It too will meet on Thursday nights because it seems to be the most logical. After my young adult group last night I went to the house church to hang out with the kids. I love the young adults...and leave always feeling refreshed and renewed; yet I also want to take time to be apart of a congregation with the kids. So, I'm torn. I'm still don't know exactly what my move is to be. As of right now, I think I'm going to do both. I'm going to rotate every other week. (Maybe that also helps with burn-out) I would like if you would offer your advice and please pray for me a right decision.

Thank you all again for reading. Thank you for all your prayers and support. Without you this wouldn't be possible. Also...went to Akkawi this week...it always warms my heart to be in that place. Bashir and Janette are amazing people! They make sure that you are always taken care of!

No comments: