Tomorrow I will be giving the daily devotion. I figured no better topic than the one thing I'm struggling with and asking for: PATIENCE! It will be an introduction, because devo is only 10mins.
Internet dictionaries define patience as:
1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2.an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay:
3. quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered careso...what is patient?
1. Bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.
2. Tolerant; understanding
3. Persevering; constant
4 Capable of bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance
Growing up and even now when I think of patience, I always ask God: WHY? Why do I need this or why do we have to be patient? This questioning always seem even greater when standing in a line, waiting at a checkpoint, or students who after 20 mins of teaching with practice ask, "What page are you on?"
But after reading these different definitions of patience/patient it has truly made me think of the character of Jesus.
1. Bearing annoyance: Jesus has bared annoyances from the beginning of time. I can imagine he was annoyed with Adam and Even when they ate the forbidden fruit. Also, with us now. We make the same mistakes over and over again. We don't listen to his advice or heed from his warnings. But does he act out rashly? No way! He gently and lovingly guides us back to himself.
2. Understanding: Jesus has this great understanding of what it's like just to be us. He knows what it's like to be in our shoes. He's felt the love, pain, frustration, loneliness, and all the other emotions and feelings that we have. He is our creator, so of course he has that understanding too of the way we are.
3. Constant: "You stay the same though the ages, your love never changes!" Hebrews 13:8 " Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." He's never changing. His character is always the same. He's never just going to decide to change who he is one day. He is the constant God.
4. Persevering: I think of all Christ's sufferings even before the cross. He continued to press on even through the mocking and ridicule of the people that he was here to save. Even when people made fun of him and cursed his name he continued to preach his message.
5. Bearing pain with calmness: Jesus not only took the physical pain with whippings, lashes, beatings, and hung on a cross with nails through his hands and feet, but he also took on the great pain of the sins of the world. These were the sins from the beginning until the end. He had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Yet, he never resisted. He never fought against. He never got down from the cross until it was finished. He took all this pain and did so calmly.
So why? Why should be be patient? Galatians 3:27 "for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ." To be like Jesus. Have his character and share his character. Our patience is a testament to those around us. People see our struggles and hardships, yet if we are patient through the troubled times Jesus' patience will shine through us.
I pray that today that God will help me live like his son. I want to live the example that he lived. I pray that he will grant me more patience than ever before so that others will see his works.
1 comment:
Lindsey, this is great. I always love to read your blog, but today's reading was definitely a terrific (personal) lesson! I don't have much patience, and I frankly am not sure I have ever really wanted any. This has shown me how I am turning away a wonderful opportunity to be like Jesus by refusing to learn. Thanks so much for all you do. Love on those sweet children for me. I will pray that you will have patience and they will be focused, alert, attentive, and engaged. Love you!
Post a Comment