Wednesday, 8 October 2008

When the Going Gets Tough...DON'T Yell

Okay..i know what you're thinking...the last part of that is, "The Tough Gets Going." Well...I'm using the saying in a personal experience. #1 I would like to say that living in Palestine there are things that are totally different from living in America. For instance, children are allowed to wonder the streets by themselves without adult supervision and really hardly any one thinks much about it. (This goes for most Arabs there are some exceptions) I wanted you to have this background before i told the story. #2 Not trying to brag, but being the good student that i was in 5th/6th grade i really didn't and still really dont know what its like to out-right disrespect and disobey a teacher. So..my story. Today there was an incident at school with my a few of my 6th graders. Some water was poured on other students from the window of the 2nd floor classroom. One student sought me for help in dealing with the situation and one of the others took it into his own hands (well...using words for his retaliation) But of course they were speaking in Arabic so i didnt know all that was said. But...the two students who were accused of pouring water were told to go to my 5th grade classroom and sit (where i was planning on talking with them about the entire situation) they were not to bring their books, not to to the bathroom on the way, just go to my classroom. One of the students blatantly disobeyed me and continued to walk down the stairs after telling then yelling for him to "COME HERE." Until finally he walked outside and i knew what he was planning to do. I said, "If you leave this campus you will be suspended!!!" I was mad! I think i was more than mad. He left campus, which is not tolerated even if kids are allowed to do that by their parents, its not allowed at school. (Ps. this kid has a history of leaving campus) So i immediately called his parents. Told them that he was suspended and what happened and that they needed to come see me. Unfortunately already the principal had run-ins with this boy's mom already this year. And was known as a very vulgar lady. So i had to write a letter saying that this student was suspended for 5 days. So...i was still fuming. I was trying to pump myself up for what was to come with the mom also. So...when she arrived at the school, i felt ready. So i handed her the paper and told her what her son's punishment was. She began to yell and raise her voice saying, "Its not fair...he should not be punished for this." I tried to explain but she kept interrupting until i couldnt take it anymore. I wish i could say that i used the mind of Christ in this situation at this moment but i didnt. Sorry I'm human. Things happen. So i began to yell back at her (the crazy thing is that in a Arab society they do a lot of yelling at each other) She wouldn't listen, and kept bringing up things that other students did or said to her son, all of which gave him NO reason to leave the school grounds. I was so frustrated because instead of her saying "I know there are consequences of my son leaving without permission, she said this is not fair." She kept wanting to get other kids in trouble instead of her son. One of the other teachers during this time happened to walk up to me and say, "Lindsey...calm down." I was so frustrated that all i could think about was trying to get this woman to listen to me. It really did calm me down when i thought about it. There was another teacher in the room at the time who happened to be reading her Bible and i asked if for a minute if she would walk outside and pray for me. We did and i felt the presence of the Holy Spirit spread peace over me. It was an incredible feeling. I went back in and apologized to the mom for raising my voice, but told her that i was keeping my word and this would be his punishment. By the end she still felt like it was an unfair punishment but we both had calmed down a lot and talked to each other in normal tones. I also apologized to any of the teachers who were in the teacher's room at the time and saw the incident. I told them how sorry i was for not reacting the way Christ would have reacted. They actually all encouraged me instead of tearing me down...which i thank God for so much. After the incident i was so drained that i just wanted to give up the remainder of the day, but God kept telling me to keep going. He reminded me that a good teacher would brush it off and go teach her class just as she had prepared. WHICH I DID. Thanks to the strength to God. For me it was the hardest days that i've had since i've been here. I feel like i really let God down by not having everything focused on him so that i wouldn't have reacted the way i did in the beginning. The thing i love about God is that during those times he is teaching us. And boy did he have a lot to teach me today. One thing which seems like almost a cliche now but has so much truth is focus everything on Him. Walk, talk, breathe, think Jesus. If we are constantly communicating with Him then our actions will reflect him...not otherwise in my case. Also, the guest speaker at our "thing" in Jerusalem on Sat. night spoke about Job and it was a really powerful message. Now everything i've seen to encounter has been on Job. I've been reading EFW's Firmly Rooted blog which has been on Job and today i felt a bit like him. Satan attached Job in so may ways, yet Job still held strong to his belief in God and drew closer to him. My situation was a bit different. Today our or my Job moments may not be physical harm or the death of family or my fields and livestock drying up, but it could be the way we react when something comes against us, like a mother raising her voice being used as a puppet. I did not act properly to begin with and was not representing the person that i say i am, but I was filled with the Spirit that drew me close to God at that time. I felt the trial as Job because i felt the enemy come against me with a striking low-blow. The sad thing is that i did not react the way Job would have reacted but God help me realize my downfall. Yes...Job did curse the day he was born, but he never cursed God. I feel like me reacting the way i did to that women showed my love for God and especially showed that to this mother.  This is a teaching experience from God. Teaching me to quiet my tongue and pray before EVERY situation and know His heart in each situation. Finally, the exact thing i was teaching my class today..."the way you treat others shows the way you love ME."

3 comments:

Our Home said...

All of us have days like this, but most of us don't have to do it in a foreign country, with a different culture and language! God is doing a good work in you and will carry it on to completion! Thanks for sharing with all of us! I need to remember that lesson too!

Sassy's Dresses and More said...

I have been there in a simlar situation, the devil sure knows when we are weak and I don't like that at all. Everymorning I ask the LORD to please speak thru me for I can't do it on my own. I want his words to come out and not mine,(I fall alot) I thank him for being such a forgiving father. Take care and GOD bless.... Love ya I will give Landon kisses for you. Love Mrs. Connie

vanessa said...

I think it took a lot for you to go back and say you were sorry. You are a great person. I love you much. God is with you. Keep trusting Him.