Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Swoosh

So, my roommate Michele has been reading this book called Celebration of Discipline. I currently now have a copy as well. Last week she also gave our daily devotional before school and shared from the book. She spoke about prayer and how we are to be constantly in contact with God. The author calls them "swishing prayers." Basically, it's living our lives where whenever we are in contact with a person, either by hearing or seeing, we are actively praying that God will give them a revelation of who He is. My favorite part, "In a bus or a plane we can invited Jesus to walk down the aisles, touching people on the shoulder and saying, 'I love you. My greatest delight would be to forgive you and give you good things. You have beautiful qualities still in the bud that I would unfold if only you will say yes. I'd love to rule your life if you'll let me." This really has stuck with me. I've tried to make swooshing a daily "habit". On Sunday, I went into Jerusalem and felt very strongly to try it out. In the checkpoint surrounded by people, on the bus, walking down the street, in the post office, and in the mall. It was exciting. I really felt like the spirit also gave me insight on how to pray for specific people I crossed paths with. Maybe it will be something that you will try this week!

On Saturday for Al Beit Jr. we had a girl's/guy's night. The girls were split by grade and the guys all had a cook-out. Everyone seemed to have a great time. I spent my time with Tara and the 7th grade girls, Meroon and Nada. We had a blast. We tie-dyed shirts, painted nails, made brownies, and ate delicious spaghetti. It was a great time with some special girls. This week we'll have a Valentine's Edition of Al Beit Jr. I'm so excited that Jen & Ra'ed Abu Rumman will be speaking. I truly believe that their relationship is such an example for the kids.

In other news, I have been sick for 2 weeks, but I'm doing better now. PTL My students have been real troopers and are always there to offer caring words. Here are a few examples, "Miss...did you brush your hair today? It looks fluffy." "Miss...did you put on make-up?" "Miss...your hair looks worse than before." "Miss...you sound worse today than yesterday." Kids do say the darnest things. Maybe they are getting me back for their recent work load. February is going to be a busy month for them and me!

No comments: